Monday, August 2, 2010

Mindful Mondays: #3 Compassion


"By compassion we make others' misery our own, and so, by relieving them, we relieve ourselves also." 
- Thomas Browne, Sr.





Compassion.  Its a hard thing for many people to feel.  Its not something that is encouraged in our consumption obsessed, self-absorbed society.  And, yet, all spiritual teachings list it as a great virtue.... the ability to feel, through love, another persons pain.  No, really feel it.

Anyway, compassion comes easy for me.  I cry (or tear up) at every cheesy moment in any piece of fiction.  I avoid the news because my heart breaks for victims of crime (or nature), I'll forgive friends, family and acquaintances at the drop of a hat.... ("they're having a hard day").  What I can't ever seem to do is extend that same courtesy to myself.

I mean, how does that work?  How can you feel compassion for (nearly) everyone in the world and NOT for yourself?

And then I realized....  If I forgive myself, then maybe I'll have to go easy on myself, and maybe I won't be who-I-am anymore.  (as if that makes any sense, I know)

Its almost like I'm afraid to be nice to myself.

So, now I know, I should be willing to show myself the same amount of compassion that I extend to others, but....  I don't know how.  And usually, if I'm stuck on something, I start at the beginning.  But, the beginning is 30 years ago and, not having access to a time machine, I suppose I'll have to start from now.  But I always feel so silly when I give myself a hug...


How do you show yourself compassion?  Which comes easier to you, compassion for others, or for yourself?

2 comments:

Nicole Redman said...

Our culture sees compassion for oneself as feeling sorry for yourself, or making excuses...

mamarolf said...

I hadn't really thought of that... you're right. So, we're supposed to be selfish but not make excuses for it? this is getting confusing ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails