Monday, November 29, 2010

MM #9: Thankful


Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. 
~W.T. Purkiser

Thanksgiving is awesome for so many reasons:  the food, the time with family, taking time to remember what we are thankful for in our lives. 

Now that Thanksgiving is passed, I hope you enjoyed your time with family, and took that time to really acknowledge the things you are thankful for.



How did you spend your holiday?

As for me, I spent a good part of this weekend (when I was awake) wallowing in self-pity because I missed out on all the family fun. I got hit HARD by some bug or another on Thanksgiving evening and have been in bed, mostly sleeping, these last 4 days.  I suppose I needed that; to mourn the loss of  those plans we had.

I wanted to frolic with my girls at Apple Hill, I wanted to curl up under my hand-knitted blanket next to a warm fire and read stories, I wanted to build forts, watch movies and get some Christmas cheer in our home.  Instead, I slept through most of the weekend, quarantined in the bedroom by myself, and listened to the sounds of my family echoing down the hallway. 


The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. 
~Eric Hoffer, Reflections On The Human Condition

Have you counted your blessings?  

Even though I am sad to have missed out on what we had planned, I still have plenty to be thankful for... 
I am grateful to have:
  • family that loves and supports me
  • a home that keeps us warm and safe
  • little girls' laughter
  • tiny shoes to trip on in the doorway
  • Uncles and Aunts to share Saturday nights with
  • hot tea, cold water and fluffy pillows
  • handmade gifts to keep me warm and remind me of family and friends in far-off places
  • so many wonderful bloggers to follow and learn from 
  • all of you.  I may not hear from all of you, but I appreciate every single one of you.  I hope you will keep coming back; I hope you find your voice; I hope we become fast friends.   
* And an Honorable Mention for Papa for holding down the fort this weekend while I was laid out in bed. 

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.  
~William Arthur Ward

How do you express your gratitude?  

**Thank you for stopping by!  If you're new to Mindful Mondays, follow this link, for rules and instructions on linking up.   I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails