Saturday, November 6, 2010

There's a coffee shop I like to go to.  A home away from home, if you will.  In general, I am too consumed by some text book or essay to notice what is going on in the courtyard where I like to sit and sip coffee while typing something resembling BS (designed to get me an "A" on whatever assignment is most pressing) as fast as my fingers can go.


Like any truly awesome place, there is a set of 'regulars' that can be found at nearly any given moment in that courtyard - most of whom I know by name and exchange pleasantries with a few times a week. Its important to know that I have spent time in this courtyard for as long as I can remember.  I have exchanged pleasantries with these regulars for years; with some, for decades.  I'm not really sure what made today different, but today... I looked up.    And suddenly, today, it struck me...



This is special.  This is what I love most about Midtown... the way that people of different ages, races, genders, socio-economic ranks, and belief systems come together in one place and form friendships.  Its what makes the places I love so, well, lovable.

So, today, I pulled up a  chair and re-learned the game of chess; I exchanged more than pleasantries with people who I have know of, but not really known, for years.  Today I learned more, I formed stronger connections; I invested myself in the community.  And when you really think about it, isn't that what life is about?  What makes life enjoyable is that connection to others which gives us a reason to know that we are more than just the sum of our own parts.

How will you connect today?

(cross-posted at This Day In Real Life)

1 comment:

Karen Burke Redman said...

Weatherstone? You crawled on the floor there as a baby - before it had a courtyard and before it was aquired and cleaned up by Java City. The hippie priest who opened it baptized you. I escaped there to read and drink tea on my Sunday afternoons off from being Mama.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails